Native to Central China and very rare. Discovered by Augustine Henry in 1888. Introduced to the UK in 1901 by Ernest Wilson.
Purchased from Pan-Global Plants. Planted on 3rd March 2007 by George Marshall and Gilli Claycomb.
Characteristic growth presents long soft branches of a somewhat lax nature. Having seen a specimen at Bluebell Nursery that had a defined central stem supporting traditional style branches, it was decided to train the leader and support branches until they became more rigid. On several occasions the bracing canes have been removed by trespassers.